Eyes are beautifully diverse, coming in a wide variety of sizes, colors, and shapes. And with each eye shape comes different makeup tricks and tips to enhance. Not sure what eye shape you even have? We’ve got you covered. Ahead, we spent time chatting with Giorgio Armani Celebrity Makeup Artist Tim Quinn to get his expert advice on all the makeup tips for each eye shape and how to accentuate the unique characteristics of them all. But remember, any eye shape can wear any type of makeup they please. These tips are merely suggestions for how to determine and accentuate your unique eye shape.
How To Determine Your Eye Shape
- Round Eyes : One of the main characteristics of round eyes is that your crease will always be noticeably visible. Another way to decipher if your eyes are round is by looking straight in the mirror and noticing whether or not you can see white on the top or bottom of the iris. If you’re able to see any white it’s clear you have round shaped eyes which often at times appear more open.
- Monolid Eyes: If you don’t have much (or any) of a crease where your eyelid meets the skin below your eyebrows (and the shape of your lid tends to be flatter), that is a good indication you have a monolid eye shape. With this shape, the crease of the eye isn’t visible when your eyes are open.
- Downturned Eyes: The easiest way to determine if you have downturned eyes is to look at the outermost corner and see whether it lifts up or downward. If the outer corner points down, then you know you have downturned eyes.
- Upturned Eyes: Similar to the process of determining whether or not you have downturned eyes, do decipher if they are upturned you will look at the outer corners to see whether they tilt up or down. If the eyes tilt upward then you have upturned eyes.
- Almond Eyes: If you see a visible crease when looking at your lids and the iris of your eyes touches white on both the top and bottom, you have almond-shaped eyes. You will also notice in almond-shaped eyes that they turn slightly upward in the outer corners.
Makeup Tips For Round Eyes
When wanting to enhance round eyes, sticking to a neutral color palette is a great idea to really show off the beauty and shape. Quinn suggests that “Using a liner in the waterline is always a good idea for round eyes. Keep the lid color more light and apply a deeper shade to the crease, when applying mascara focus mainly on the top lashes.”
Makeup Tips For Monolid Eyes
Utilizing eyeliner is best for the monolid eye shape as it can bring instant definition. When referencing what makeup is best for a monolid eye, Quinn says “Keep it simple, clean, and chic.” A trick Quinn uses often for monolid eyes is “Smudge the liner as you reach the outer edges and be sure to arch the brow to define the eye shape as well.” A nude eyeliner on the lower waterline with softly smudged eyeshadow is another way to enhance monolid eyes.
Makeup Tips For Downturned Eyes
Using a lash curler on downturned eyes will make a huge impact on the shape by keeping the lashes curled and upright. To accentuate a downturned eye shape, Quinn suggests following the shape of the eye in a straight motion with eyeliner versus curving it. “Keep the eyeliner linear. Slightly cheat the outer edge and then smudge out the lower lash line as well with a shadow or your favorite liner.”
Makeup Tips For Hooded Eyes
Hooded eyes are easily accentuated with color. Quinn emphasized the importance of makeup not transferring to the eyes when they are open and suggests using waterproof liner and mascara to achieve this. Quinn then noted, “I use waterproof liner and mascara so it won’t transfer and add a touch of light to the inner corners and just under the brow bone.”
Makeup Tips For Upturned Eyes
Winged eyeliner complements upturned eyes instantly and is a great go-to makeup trick. For upturned eyes, Quinn noted, “Well-defined brows really set the tone for this classic eye look I love to play with colorful liners and keep the lid cleaner.”
Makeup Tips For Almond Eyes
Almond eye shapes work well with accentuated eyelashes (they can be real or falsies) and carry out the popular smoky eyeshadow look very well. For smoky eyes, it’s all about the blending technique, which quality makeup brushes will help you with. Quinn suggests using eyeliner to accentuate almond eyes by applying it on the top and bottom, “Be it winged, ombré or smudged eyeliner you can play with all styles. Don’t be afraid to experiment with color and of course lots and lots of lashes!”
There are a number of eye shapes out there, and you might have one or a combination of two types (for example, you might have hooded eyes that are also downturned). It’s important to realize that no matter what eye shape you have, all are beautiful. Experimenting with different makeup tricks and techniques needs to be fun and something you enjoy, as it will further your knowledge on the best ways to accentuate your individual eye shape. Try everything you feel like trying; there really is no limit to what you can create when you’re in the mood to be playful with your eye makeup. Whether you love to wear bold colors or more natural inspired looks, feel free to get as creative as you want.